- Jan 02, 2019 -
Also known as Brown algae flavin and Fuco, fucoxanthin is natural Xanthophylls pigment of carotinoid. It is mainly extracted from Various algae, Marine phytoplankton, aquatic shellfish and other plants and creatures with the appearance color from yellowish to brown.
Fucoxanthin can be applied to many fields of human using, we mainly here summarize the function of anti-tumour.
Tumour is a serious threat to the human health and the quality of human life. At present, surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy are still the most important means to treat tumors. We know surgery and radiotherapy are increasingly improved, with little room to develop them more and chemotherapy becomes more important and one of the most effective means to treat tumour with more development potential. Therefore we need to find and develop new anti-tumour medicines with better effect.
Now about 65% anti-tumour medicines are extracted from natural sources, mainly from microorganism and plants. With the decrease of land resources, more developed countries pay more attentions to explore new sources from marine organisms.
In Chinese medical records, kelp phycophyta is commonly used to treat tumour and its medical value is known by people long ago. In recent years, Japanese scientists extracted the carotenoid fucoxanthin, which has been studied by years and verified to have Multiple biological activities, such as anti-tumour, anti-inflammation, anti-oxidation and weight losing.
1. Tests show The formation of skin cancer was significantly inhibited by fucoxanthin after 20 weeks, with an inhibition rate of 70%.
2. A colon cancer model was established by subcutaneous injection of 1,2 - methlhydrazine (DMH) to a mouse, who was feed by water with 0.01% fucoxanthin, the results showed that fucoxanthin could inhibit the ACF induced by DMH and the proliferation rate of crypt cells was decreased.
3. MASASHI reported the effect of fucoxanthin texture on hl-60 cell lines of acute myelogenous leukosis, and the results showed that fucoxanthin could inhibit the proliferation of hl-60 cells in spot.
4. ELICHI studied the effect of carotenoids on the proliferation of human prostate cancer cells (pc-3,DU145 and LNCap).It was found that fucoxanthin could significantly reduce the survival rate of prostate cancer cells and induce apoptosis.
5. Studies have shown that fucoxanthin and fucoxanol can inhibit the formation of embryonic blood vessels, which may have anti-tumor angiogenesis effect.
The above well explains that Fucoxanthin is with good anti-tumour activity, If its target and mechanism of action can be further studied, it is expected to be used in the treatment and prevention of human tumors.